Saturday, August 14, 2004 - Stupid Batteries
We had an excellent time yesterday at Revolution (in Bryan, TX). The show went off without a hitch.

Wish we could say as much for the journey, though. As Patrick and I pulled out of Houston, heading north to pick Mike up in The Woodlands, we noticed the van's battry light had come on. No big deal, we thought; the engine started, right? But as we drove, the battery indicator slid steadily into the red. Despite the fact that Patrick and I have about as much collective car knowledge as a barbie doll, we realized that this is a "bad" thing. Fortunately for us, Mike has a pickup truck! So rather than risking it choking half way to Bryan, we made the executive decision to cram (and I do mean cram) our gear into the bed of the truck (thank God for good weather) and wedge ourselves into the front for the 2 hour journey.

Did we make it? Yes. Were we happy? No. Let's just say that we're much closer now.

Gnappy was playing when we arrived, and they kicked ass as usual. Their new material really shines. We are totally psyched to be playing not just one but three gigs with them (and Bagg) in early September.

$tephen, a fan in Bryan, was there to meet us with his video camera when we arrived. He taped the whole show, plus some "behind the scenes" footage including all 3 of us looking silly before and after the show. If you ever get a chance to see it, you'll realize why we stick to playing music and avoid stand up comedy (mostly).

Good looking lady: "My nickname is Mojo."
Ian: "Yeah? Mine is 'the singing duck'."
Good looking lady: (silence)

The set was incredible - 2 sets, actually - and we played till 2am. Everybody was grooving with us - we had a particularly cool run in Melody-Melody, which, even though it's a song we play a lot, never seems to lose its ability to inspire weird tangents and extended jams. We even had a dude get up and rap spontaneously in the middle of one song.

The trip home was ... well ... long. Ian chased some ducks around a Whataburger, Mike had an extended conversation with a hand puppet, and 1-800-MATTRESS was called at least once. We also learned that if Patrick falls asleep, it's best not to wake him up suddenly; he comes up fighting.

After dropping Mike back in the Woodlands, we transferred all the gear back to the van and crossed our fingers for the ride home to Houston. Obviously, we didn't cross them hard enough. 2 hours later, the tow truck driver found Ian and Patrick asleep in the van on the side of I-45, and there was a beautiful sunrise. Stupid car batteries!

Spaceship jazz from Texas.

October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
April 2008
June 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
April 2009
August 2009
September 2009
November 2009
March 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2011
February 2012
May 2012
June 2012
May 2013

Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by