This is a great weekend for music in Houston.Fri 3/25
- Minkuks Finkus @ Brasil - Our funk jazz fridays band for tonight is Minkus Finkus, a cool jazz funk combo from Fayetteville, AK.
- K'Monte @ Tha House - My man K'Monte is turning the big Three-Oh. He's having a big birthday party at Tha House (428 Westheimer, near Helios) and he's invited all musicians, artists, poets, etc. to come be a part of it.
- Michael Haaga @ Continental Club - Reinvented metal legend Haaga's new pop band opens for Southern Culture on the Skids. Sweet!
- The Googe, The Southern Backtones and Camino @ 19th Hole - For those of you northern folks, these 3 great bands will play the 19th hole in the Woodlands.
- The El Orbits at the Stag's Head - Houston's lounge hounds take on the great bastion of sin. Well, OK, the great bastion of yummy beer and pizza.
- The ills @ Last Concert Cafe - Norman, OK based jazz-influenced house/jam band. Opening for Hairy Apes BMX the night before in Austin, these guys are playing with the Houseplants at LCC
- Free Radicals & Minkus Finkus @ Helios - Our buds the free rads throw down differently every time, and it's always worth watching. Catch 'em with Minkus Finkus (see above) at Helios.
- Super Happy Fun Land 2 Year Anniversary - An all day / all night party to celebrate two years of Houston's wackiest venue.
- Kenny Cordray @ Dan Electro's - Kenny's having a release party for his new CD. I play on it. Go check it out!
- GoGirls Showcase @ Rhythm Room - GoGirls always puts on great shows. This time there are 3 of my favorite local X-chrom-driven bands on the bill: Tabitha Monet (rapidly rising singer songwriter), Camino (Verionica rocks the drums) and Sky Blue 72 (members of Zwee with Jessica on drums, rock!).
- Kelly Dean w/ TKOh! @ Tongue In Groove - Houston jazz supergroup, with Keith Vivens (bass), James Williams (trumpet), Andy Saad (sax), Ed Lowe (trombone), Gilbert Sedeño (keys), John Calderon (guitar) and Burnin' Vernon Daniels (drums).
- Larry Slezak Hammond Organ Band @ The Magnolia - A smokin' hammond organ jazz band with our pal Jose-Miguel Yamal on the keys.
- The Buddhacrush @ Sharky's - We all need a little ...
- The Phlegmatics @ Engine Room - My new favorite basement rock band - heavy guitars, catchy-ass melodies, and funny songs about helen of troy. Rad.
- Jen Rathbun @ JP Hops House - Jen is a great torch singer / songwriter.
- Rent @ The Meridian - Brotha Jibril et all spin for a great big party, now taking residence at The Meridian.
- The Defenestration Unit @ SHFL, 9pm - The Defenestration Unit is a legendary Houston free jazz outfit. Go see 'em, they only perform once in a blue moon.
- Prognosis @ Scout Bar - After you punish your senses with free jazz, go punish them differently with heavy rock. I've heard scout bar is pretty cool. Go see, eh?
Plus, all weekend long there's a local talent showcase
at the Hard Rock. It's $10 to get in, and you can get your fill (literally) of Houston bands doing 20 minute showcases. I personally avoid those things like the plague, but this one actually has some bands I know and like (The Fondue Monks, The Grey Life, etc.). So if you've got a voracious appetite for music, by all means, go check it out.